Engineering in Isolation

Jacob Clark won third place in the high school division with his scale model of the Empire State Building.

Emily Clark, Staff Reporter

When Jacob Clark was told that he would have to quarantine for two weeks, his reaction was very similar to that of countless others facing the same situation.

“My first thought was, ‘What am I going to do with all of this time?’” Jacob said.

Then, his mom, Lori Clark, showed him a Facebook post that completely changed his mindset.

“We found out about the Scale Model Gingerbread Competition through the Tulsa Regional STEM Alliance Facebook page.” Lori said. “I liked their page a while ago, and now I get notifications whenever they post announcements.”

When Jacob saw the post, he was immediately inspired. 

“I had gotten interested in engineering over the summer, and I thought this would help me get more experience with it. That way, I could do more stuff involving it so that I could prepare for pursuing a career in engineering in the future.” Jacob said.

With that, Jacob got to work.

“I decided to make a completely edible scale model of the Empire State Building. It took me about a week and a half to complete.” Jacob said.

Finally, it was time to submit the project, and, after almost a full month of waiting, the results were in.

“I was kind of surprised that I won third in my division because this was my first time participating in something like this,” Jacob said. “Honestly, I didn’t expect to win at all.”

Jacob’s mom as well as his sister, Lily Clark, were equally surprised and extremely proud.

“I thought it was pretty cool that he is already so good at what he wants to spend the rest of his life doing.” Lily said.

Jacob’s science teacher, Ginger Hendricks, also was also excited to hear the news.

“I was definitely impressed. He was competing against a lot of other talented kids, some of which probably had a lot more experience,” Hendricks said. “The fact that he did so well really says something.”