Juniors’ Journeys

Juniors continue their paths toward success through studying one of their last ILCA Math classes.

Jackson Bush, Editor

Immanuel Lutheran Christian Academy has seen the successful rise of many students from elementary school all the way through their senior year. For many, it is a time of both stressful decision making and exciting opportunities to expand their horizons through college. 

For junior Cade Carpenter, the aspect of moving forward brings comfort to the idea that he will soon leave ILCA. 

“It’s not exactly stressful, maybe scary. You don’t get to be around your family as much,” Carpenter said.

Cade hopes to focus on sports reporting, with an emphasis on building a brand through which he can design streetwear. These goals will be realized through college, where he hopes to attend the University of Northeastern Oklahoma. 

“In 5-10 years I hope to start a business and invest in stocks, but it is still a blurry vision,” Carpenter said.

He knows that, in order to achieve the monument of goals before him, he will need to take with him everything he has learned from ILCA.

“Teachers here help point us to professors’ goals, and help us get prepared for everything outside of school,” Carpenter said.  

While taking notice of the surrounding stress surrounding his future plans, Colby Gaines challenges the common perception of one’s full transition into adulthood. He does not align someone’s 18th birthday with adulthood, and the many tasks that come with it. 

“It feels like a child paying taxes. I don’t believe you turn into an adult at 18, although I do like the responsibility,” Gaines said. 

Although he is excited to start off on his own, he has “always felt independent” in regards to his actions and motives. He appreciates the fundamental lessons high school has taught him over the years.

“The school has definitely taught me many subjects, but people might find it hard to go to college from this private school since you’ll have to meet more people,” Gaines said. 

Another junior who agrees with Gaines is Hedi Fine, who has already begun her admission process to the University of Central Arkansas. 

“I expect the environment to be different entirely, but high school has taught me respect and helped me to learn more,” Fine explained.

She hopes to meet new people and fears the process of moving and choosing the appropriate major.

“I hope to eventually become a criminal justice lawyer,” Fine said. 

Junior Emily Farrell plans to follow in many of the past seniors’ footsteps, starting her college experience at Tulsa Community College for two years. Fine wonders how the past seniors “did it” in regards to taking this big leap into adulthood. 

“While I believe it’s necessary for me, college isn’t for everyone. There’s still plenty of opportunities for anyone who is undecided,” Farrell said. 

Her decision to go to college will be followed by her desire to “have a psychology degree, help children with rough pasts, and become a foster parent” Her form of stress comes from the people and places she’s leaving behind.

“My stress comes from leaving home and leaving memories because I don’t like change,” Farrell said. 

She knows that her class will succeed in their endeavors, however, as she gives them all advice for their future plans.

“Stay strong, trust in God because he knows your path,” Farrell said.