Senior’s Next Steps

Figuring+out+what+lies+beyond+ILCA%2C+Drexel+king+continues+working+at+ACE+Hardware+

Figuring out what lies beyond ILCA, Drexel king continues working at ACE Hardware

Jackson Bush , Editor

Immanuel Lutheran Christian Academy has seen the growth, maturity, and spiritual development of many seniors through its history. As the stress of the outside world can become more apparent with each year, students may want to know what exactly lies beyond the doors of ILCA. 

Past students such as Trinity Blackwell struggle with the various opportunities and challenges that may be present in her adult life.

“I looked forward to college classes the most. There’s a lot more freedom during the class itself. You’re welcome to discuss any topic respectfully,” Blackwell said. 

College is the culmination of years of prior study, fused with the chance to discover more on certain subjects and even oneself. This may result in students’ stress moving forward. 

“I think most people are stressed by figuring out what they want to do in life. I personally already know. My biggest stress is figuring out where I want to transfer to and how to pay for it,” Blackwell said. 

Along with this stress comes the idea that college will present new challenges that students have not faced in high school. Blackwell explained one issue facing many adults today: time. 

“Everything is completely up to you to do work. Sometimes you get reminders from professors, but it’s nothing like high school in that sense. The only reason you get reminders is because they forgot to explain something about the assignment. Also, time management is up to you. You make your own schedule. If you miss something it’s all your fault, Blackwell said. 

Some issues will be better handled with high school knowledge. Camden Barker knows that ILCA has made his transition easier.

“Schooling at Immanuel taught me to shut up and listen. I always had trouble with instructions doing school work because I would never stop talking. A lot of my schoolwork has been easier to me because I have stopped talking and just listened to people and instructions,” Barker said.

He admits that there were even opportunities at Immanuel that he wished he would have utilized more. 

“I wish I used the teachers more for help. Every teacher at ILCA is there to help you succeed when you get out of high school and I wish I asked for help and more knowledge before leaving,” Barker said. 

When separated from ILCA, Lia Carr relies on new friends, who he says, “give the best advice”.

He quickly understood that the challenges of college would need new solutions previously unused. 

“[There are] more severe consequences. In high school, you have your parents and teachers, and friends constantly surrounding you. In college you are for the main part on your own,” Carr said.

There is a bright side, however, to the difficult circumstances awaiting new students. As freshmen move into their dorms and prepare for new experiences, they also experience new feelings of diversity.

“[I enjoy] being more independent. I love the diversity in college. In high school, I had friends from across town. Now I have friends from Mexico City, Poland, and Norway,” Carr said.

Drexel King has always looked forward to life on his own, and fantasies about what life has in store. He looks forward to “freedom, making money, and just someday being able to kick back and enjoy life.” 

As college brings on the idea of future possibilities, Drexel also looks forward to life after school.

“5 years from now I hope to be out of college and blazing a trail to start my career. In 10 years I want to have a stable job and be making a comfortable amount of money to enjoy life outside of work,” King said. 

He looks back at the guides he had in high school and understands how he would not be where he is without them.

“When I look back at the teachers I miss from ILCA the most (that are still there) I would have to say, Mr. Mueller. He’s a really good guy and I’m sure some kids are annoyed when he seems strict or overbearing, but he seriously cares about us and he has your best interests in mind,” King said. 

Seniors that come and go will undoubtedly take with them the memories and experiences of high school. While the future seems far and uncertain for new students, the prospects of change and opportunity can be welcoming. Understanding the fears and doubts of incoming high school students, King gives his best advice for anyone in need.

“For high school freshmen, I would say to not do something because it is what seems popular or cool. Be unique and be yourself, don’t get caught up in what other people think of you. For seniors, take a chill pill and relax if you are worried about college. It definitely has not been a cakewalk but if you put aside some time to study and work hard, you should do fine. And if not, then that’s alright too because there is an option for everybody and maybe traditional college isn’t for you,” King said.