The Iranian Crisis

Liam Carr, Staff Reporter

If you are up to date in world news, then the current Iranian crisis should not surprise you. The airstrikes and drone assassinations are not new to the scene. This U.S. vs. Iran conflict has been going on for the past forty years. It began to escalate in 2015 when the U.S. signed a nuclear deal with Iran, in which the U.S. gave Iran around 50 billion dollars. Many U.S. officials say, in return, they have been using that money to fight back against the U.S. The tension between Iran and the U.S. reached an all-time high on Friday, January 3 when the U.S. set up a drone strike that killed an Iranian general named Qassem Soleimani. He was known as one of the most powerful men in Iran, second only to the Supreme Leader. Soleimani had a militia of 20,000 people, known as the Quds Force, which was deemed a terrorist organization by the U.S. in 2007. Because of that, some say that he was the most powerful man in the Middle East. Contrary to popular belief, the U.S. did not target Soleimani because he led the attack on the U.S. embassy. The U.S. has been tracking him ever since late December, when he used his militia to fire rockets at a U.S. base in Iraq, killing a civilian U.S. defense contractor. On January 4th, 2020 a Ukrainian airplane holding civilians was shot down by Iran. So far there are reports from Canada and UK that Iran has shot down the plane but more recently the U.S. has reported that an anti-rocket defense system is responsible for it.

“I heard that Iran is blaming the U.S. for them shooting down the civilian plane,” Senior Adam Zarksi said, “It seems like a childish thing to do. Blame the other person for something they did. It makes me mad.”

Iran is saying that the plane experienced technical difficulties but recently a video surfaced of a missile hitting something in the air around the same time and place of where the airplane would have been. The U.S. has announced that all Americans in Iran should get out of their as fast as they can now. Trump has declared that his intentions are to not go to war with Iran, but if we have to we will.

People are smart, they don’t want to start another world war in some country in the middle east,” Junior Sajin Porter said. 

Many students are starting to show there patriotic side.

“I don’t understand why Iran would want to test us and our army. It seems like a bad move by them,” freshman Zane Evans said.

Porter thinks that “the Iranians know what they are facing. Even if they tried to face (the U.S.) with all there force they’d lose,” he said. 

As of January 14th Iran is now looking to set up a lawsuit against the U.S. and President Trump for killing Soleimani.