Drug Testing at Immanuel

Jordan T. Suess, Staff Reporter

Recent studies have shown an increased use of illicit drugs in teenagers and young adults which could ultimately be impacting their athletic ability. Although drug abuse is less of an issue at a small school like Immanuel Lutheran Christian Academy (ILCA), it is still a concern for many teachers and coaches. There has been an increase in 7% of college students who smoke marijuana over the past 5 years, which is the highest it has ever been in 35 years.
Athletic Director Taylor Mueller ran track and cross country in college and has experience with random drug tests. Although it existed, drug usage was not necessarily an issue at Concordia. Mr. Mueller does not believe it is a problem at ILCA.
“Currently, (drug testing) is not necessary, but if it were, drug tests would have to be instituted immediately,” Mueller stated.
He feels as even if some students were taking drugs, that it could be solved another way other than a drug test such as informing the student about the negative effects of the drug and working with their parents to make sure the student and or athlete is not taking said drug. Although, if it becomes absolutely necessary, a drug test is hard to get around and would definitely prevent any further drug use.
A student, who wished to remain anonymous, has been in the public school system before and knows how much of an issue drug abuse is there. They believe drug testing should not be instituted as drug use is not an issue at a small school like ILCA.
“It doesn’t even feel like drug testing stops them,” they said. Even if drug use was a problem, they said there are many methods to get around one and easily pass it. For example, a supposed way of passing a drug test is by using the Certo drug test method also known as Sure-Jell detox. It involves using fruit pectin to push marijuana toxins out of the bowels instead of the bladder. It rarely works as the window for pushing toxins out of your bowels is very short and you have to be a very light user of the drug. Athletes instead, usually have friends urinate in cups for them.
Sophomore Brogan Smedley who plays baseball for Broken Arrow public schools, is quarterly and randomly drug tested and is well aware of the methods used to pass them. He agrees that a small school like ILCA does not necessarily need to drug test it’s athletes.
“I would not want there to be drug tests at all if it was my opinion because it’s not like it’s going to stop people, it’s just going to get them in trouble and they are just going to do it again more than likely,” Smedley said.
Numerous people have agreed that drug testing is a way of discipline for those who do take drugs, but will not stop them from doing it. Drug testing may be necessary, but in the end, it most likely will not stop students from doing drugs.