Gas Prices Getting Higher?

Camden Barker, Staff Reporter

Gasoline provides the opportunity to travel to whatever landmark you are driving to. So why do gas prices keep fluctuating? Why don’t we produce more gas-efficient vehicles? Why do we let gas take control over everyday life? Questions like these have been asked frequently before but have never been truthfully answered. As a whole, we know that gas prices depend on how much gas is being transported into the United States and how much the United States finds. The main issue that involves gas in the United States is the fluctuation of prices. The effect it has on students and faculty is based upon their vehicle, where they obtain the gas, and how much they spend on the daily.

Adam Zarksi, a senior at Immanuel Lutheran Christian Academy (ILCA), owns a 2000 Chevrolet Silverado. Zarski has said before that his truck is a gas guzzler.

“I’ve already spent over $20 on gas this week.,” He said on Tuesday. “I’ve spent over well over $1,000 on gas already,” Zarski said.

Zarksi is known to be social around his friends and family. This causes an effect of him trying to balance money between gas and social life.

“I don’t have enough money to spend on anything. It stinks because you know you wanna have money to go out and eat and party with your friends. It’s just hard to do that when you’re spending all your money on gas,” Zarski said.

Shawn Griffith, the middle and high school math teacher, has an idea of why the gas prices continue to change.

“It has something to do with the price of oil in the market and what they think the projected cost of gasoline is going to be,” Ms. Griffith said.

Ms. Griffith is also known as the Assistant Athletic Director making it one of her top priorities to be at any sports game the school plays in. So like Zarski, Ms. Griffith has problems when it comes to after school activities and transportation.

“Sometimes it makes it tricky to get ball games when gas is higher,” Ms. Griffith said.

With gas prices changing constantly some people might be geared to certain vehicles to benefit from the changes. More gas efficient vehicles are being produced to help with the constant change of gas prices. Ms. Griffith however, can recall one of her not so gas efficient vehicle.

“I regret my very first car which was a ’69 Dodge Dart. I spent $10 a day on gas,” Ms. Griffith said.

Pricing will change depending on the vehicle you drive. Luckily for some students, gas money is provided by family members. One of those students is senior Caden Suess who recently bought his car in October. Since then, Suess has not had to worry about gas money.

“My parents have spent around $30 on gas. It only takes $3o to fill it up all the way,” Suess said.

In a similar situation to Zarksi, Suess’s social life sometimes revolves around how much gas money he takes from his parents and how much he helps around the house.

“Needing gas takes out a little bit, but if I just help my parents out just a little bit around the house it makes up for it,” Suess said.

Gas is a necessity for everyday vehicle usage. Students need it to attend school and faculty need gas to keep the school running. Gas prices increasing and decreasing have been an issue for years now that has never been steadily solved. The prices of gas will continue to vary due to the amount of oil being transported and how much it will cost.